In April 2022 the WLU Foundation Board of Directors underwent a strategic planning process led by a consultant who specializes in non-profit management. This process resulted in the development of the following vision statement, core values, and strategic directions that will guide the Foundation through June 2025.
The WLU Foundation will build donor trust through ethical practices and communication and honor philanthropic intentions that advance West Liberty University.
Strategic Directions & Goals
Strategic Direction 1: The WLU Foundation will continue to work closely with WLU and its Alumni Office to create a sustainable structure to support the growing needs of WLU, plan for succession and continuity across joint organizations, and increase alumni giving.
- Goal 1: The WLU Foundation and the WLU Alumni Office will, by the end of September 2022, create and implement a collaborative Alumni/Development Plan that includes ownership of events, mailings, and other activities, an appropriate communication structure, and the tools for the Alumni Office to support giving.
- Goal 2: The WLU Foundation will implement a staffing plan to sustain the operations of the organization and plan for growth by increasing staff at least 50% by the end of June 2024 and creatively partnering with Alumni Affairs.
Strategic Direction 2: The WLU Foundation will improve the organization’s brand awareness and enhance donor and prospective confidence by promoting the good work of the Foundation, its Board of Directors and staff, and by focusing donors on our mission to support WLU students.
- Goal 1: The WLU Foundation will create and implement an annual communication plan that includes at least two new communications for fiscal year 2023. The WLU Foundation will continue to enhance this plan year over year with a goal of five new communications by FY 25.
- Goal 2: The WLU Foundation will develop and implement a student focused annual campaign to increase total unrestricted dollars 15% by June 30, 2023, and 25% by June 2024.
- Goal 3: The WLU Foundation will adopt new mission statement and build brand awareness among external audiences by June 2024.
Strategic Direction 3: The WLU Foundation will increase its private support of WLU by expanding the donor base to include donors of all levels.
- Goal 1: The WLU Foundation and the WLU Alumni Office will create and implement a plan to increase current (based on FY 22 numbers) alumni giving to 4% of the alumni base by the end of June 2023, 5% of the alumni base by the end of June 2024, and at least 6% of the alumni base by the end of June 2025.
- Goal 2: The WLU Foundation will increase the number of major donors contributing $10,000 or more by 25% by June 2024. (Based on FY22 numbers of 33 major donors giving $10k+)
- Goal 3: The WLU Foundation will grow the number of enrolled student donors from 50 to 100 by FY25 through annual Day of Giving event, Make Your Topper Mark Program, and other initiatives (WLUF Staff)
- Goal 4: The WLU Foundation will create a plan to promote Nathan Shotwell Society Membership (planned giving) by June 2023.