This scholarship was established in loving memory of Barbara “Dowgialo” Beck by her husband David after she tragically passed away on January 31, 2018. Barbara graduated from West Liberty State College in 1970 with a degree in Elementary Education. She was also a member of the Delta Zetz Sorority and was a majorette at West Liberty. Her first teaching position was at Pineville Elementary School, Mecklenburg County, N.C. Later she taught at Good Shepherd Episcopal School in Richmond, Va. Her passion was teaching. At an elementary school level or at the Chesterfield County adult education system, teaching Bridge, a game requiring mental thought more than skill, she was in her comfort zone.
David, her husband is also an alumnus and graduated with a degree in Chemistry in 1970. He was an active member of the Theta Xi Fraternity. Barbara and David have already given back to their alma mater over the years and David remains active in the Alumni Association and the Florida Alumni Chapter. It was their shared vision to begin a scholarship to help WLU students. “In the 70s when we went to West Liberty State College, tuition was inexpensive. We almost received a free ride, now it’s time to pay for the fine education we received, to help others.” said David Beck.
The amount of the yearly scholarship will be based on income available in the fund. It will be rewarded to a single recipient. This scholarship does not have to be based on financial need.
- Female, with the desire to major in elementary education.
- High school grade point average of at least 3.25
- The applying student shall have provided community service to her local community of at least 200 hours over the last 4 years of school.
- The applying student shall have been active in extracurricular activities such as sports, band, theatre, community service, etc.
- A written essay on the reason you chose to apply for this scholarship, why you decided to attend WLU, and why you chose the education major shall be submitted.
- Maintaining at least a 3.0 minimum GPA will allow the scholarship to be continued into each following year up to and including the 4th year of study.